“change is the only constant”
20 years of practice and Disney is still tweaking to make every mile magic. A quick conference call with Feron Kelley (Director of Marketing and Communications for Disney Sports) and we have the following list of changes for the upcoming 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon weekend.
- Runner feedback confirmed that the half and full marathon course had it’s tight spots. You know…the ones where you’re forced to walk instead of run cause there are too many runners all around you. That stretch right after you leave Magic Kingdom and before you get to the Walt Disney World Speedway comes to mind. Well, in order to alleviate some of that congestion, race capacity is going to be reduced by 2,000 entries. The majority of that reduction being applied to the half marathon. Feron said that this was a painful decision, but one that had to be made in order to make the weekend the best experience possible.
- Reinforcing point #1, more corrals are being added to the starting line. I asked Feron how they were going to compensate for more start corrals and he said that the half and full marathons will have slightly earlier start times and consequently a later end time. This will not increase the 16-minute-mile pace requirement, but will give runners more breathing room on the course.
- Proof of time will no longer be accepted at Runner Relations at the Expo. In fact, proof of time must be submitted by November 1st, 2013. If no proof of time is submitted you WILL be placed in the last corral. Concern was expressed that some 2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon participants might want to use their November 9th time for corral placement, so let’s hope runDisney takes this into consideration.
- Ladies…we will receive ladies fit tech tees!
- The new 10K medal will feature Minnie Mouse.
- The 5K Family Fun Run medal design has not been decided yet. runDisney works closely with Disney Pictures on the new design each year. Hmmm…what’s coming out this year? “Monsters University” is. Wonder if we will see Mike and Sulley on the finisher’s medallion?
- The full marathon medal will be new. Kelley didn’t know if the design will be based on the 20th Anniversary Medal from 2013 or an update to the 19th year medal.
- The course for the 2014 half and full marathons will remain the same as 2013.
Registration for the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend opens tomorrow! Who is registering and for which race?